School Vision For History
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of people, events, and contexts from a range of historical periods and of historical concepts and processes.
- The ability to think critically about history and communicate ideas very confidently in styles appropriate to a range of audiences.
- The ability to consistently support, evaluate and challenge their own and others’ views using detailed, appropriate and accurate historical evidence derived from a range of sources.
- The ability to think, reflect, debate, discuss and evaluate the past, formulating and refining questions and lines of enquiry.
- A passion for history and an enthusiastic engagement in learning, which develops their sense of curiosity about the past and their understanding of how and why people interpret the past in different ways.
- A respect for historical evidence and the ability to make robust and critical use of it to support their explanations and judgments.
- A desire to embrace challenging activities, including opportunities to undertake high-quality research across a range of history topics.
The learning of history inspires our pupils to have a curiosity of everything around them and to be inquisitive about events and people from the past..
History intends to allow our children to be immersed in events from the past and to forge links between these events and how we live our lives today..
At Hopton history is taught actively and immersively by encouraging the children to compare differences and similarities of different time periods by acting out, experiencing and recreating an event in time.
We strongly believe that the purpose of History is about historical literacy. This means we aim for children to be able to hold a balanced and well-informed conversation about people and events from the past. To be able to think critically and weigh evidence and develop their own viewpoint and judgment of local, national and world wide historical events.
The basis of our curriculum is inspired by our school vision and ethos of #CARE, compassion, aspiration, respect and equality/equity.